Quechua Base 4.2 First Family Pop up tent

All tent talk here! Need advice? Need help? Or just want to chat about your tent! this is the place!!!!

Quechua Base 4.2 First Family Pop up tent

Postby Admin » Mon May 11, 2009 10:08 pm

Came across an interesting tent in the latest (June) Edition of camping magazine. The Quechua Base 4.2

Never come across the brand Quechua before, but the add did catch my eye stating or claiming to be the first 4 Person or Family Pop up tent. Now i dont know if this claim is correct or not, but i have not come accross a tent this size so far that is pitched in only 2 minutes! thats quick for a 4 person, that is not only standing height in the living area but also a good size for a tent that folds down to only an 85cm disc.
The tent itself is a Vis-a-Vis tent so 2 Bedrooms facing each other over the main living area. Priced at £149 This is an ideal tent for a starter or family that want to travel light! or even better the single parent!! a tent that you can pitch so quick and pack up so small.

I will get this brand added to the gallery soon, (i know so many others also waiting) in the meantime check out the website here for more info

Tent History: Vango Eden 600XL, Outwell Clear Lake, quechua Base 4.2, Outwell Ohio, Outwell Trout Lake, Skandika 12 Man, Blacks 4 Man

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Shelter: Vango Eden 600XL

Re: Quechua Base 4.2 First Family Pop up tent

Postby petegt4 » Mon May 25, 2009 10:39 pm

Hi,
we pitched up next to one of these a few weeks back when we camped at Bo peep nr Banbury.
Didn't see it being pitched or taken down,but i have to say it looked really well made and very expensive.Imagine our surprise when we got home and checked their website-very reasonable prices,mind you having just lost an hour long battle trying to pack away a coleman "pop up" picnic shelter :evil: (completely wrecked it and threw it in the skip :oops: )i would be very wary of buying anything "pop up"ever again :roll:
regards
Pete
petegt4

Shelter: outwell troutlake

Postby in-a-tent » Tue May 26, 2009 10:59 am

We used to have a pop-up playhouse for our kids that was a nightmare to get back in it's bag, so I agree with you on the dangers of pop-up anything. It's hard enough getting out tent back in it's bag without having a 'clever' pop-up design to cope with too.
in-a-tent
Akela
Akela

Shelter: Trigano Vendome

Postby Admin » Sun May 31, 2009 10:54 am

in-a-tent wrote:We used to have a pop-up playhouse for our kids that was a nightmare to get back in it's bag, so I agree with you on the dangers of pop-up anything. It's hard enough getting out tent back in it's bag without having a 'clever' pop-up design to cope with too.

Popup playhouse! oh the joy! i can never do it????? yazz comes along 1.2.3. its back in the bag?? its like she is one with the pop up??
Tent History: Vango Eden 600XL, Outwell Clear Lake, quechua Base 4.2, Outwell Ohio, Outwell Trout Lake, Skandika 12 Man, Blacks 4 Man

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:30 pm

We are actually starting to think about buying one of these.

not to replace our exisitng thent but its small enough to fit in car with other tent and stuff and ideal for those single night stop overs. or if you arrive late and its !""£$ing it down!

Hopfully £149 will drop towards the end of the season dont need it this year anyway

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Wayne » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:00 am

I know I'm stating the obvious here, but its not been mentioned. These are on show at most Decathlon stores.

Base seconds 4.2

T4.2 also from Decathlon and not to be confused as the model name is alike

I can't make up my mind about this tent. I nearly bought it on the spot when I first saw it, but OH would not have anything to do with fibreglass poles after our last experience in the bad weather. Also there was a review on it in this month's camping mag, one of the claims is its meant to buckle and fold in bad wind and is normal, I think we would find that a bit frightening if we were inside. That's what happened last August in Cornwell, except the tent wasn't meant to do that :lol:. I'll dig the review out and add anything of interest here.

That all said, I still like the look and design of the tent and I like the idea of the speed of the set-up. I do agree Andy, as a tent to set up for a Friday night and leave Sunday Morning, it takes some beating.

I have also found the Seconds Base tent to be clever and this would be cool as a quick chuck up Kitchen tent.

These tents are easy to put down, once you have the knack.
Click here, then click on the "Our Video" link just below the main pictures in a little orange square. Watch the girl pack it away in seconds on her own :?

(Andy, I'm in Decathlon often, I'll try and get some pics.)
Last edited by Wayne on Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nope, never took it out of the box. But, the salesperson said this tent was super easy to set up; even in windy conditions...
Wayne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Shelter: One of each

Postby Admin » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:19 am

Wayne wrote:I know I'm stating the obvious here, but its not been mentioned. These are on show at most Decathlon stores.

Base seconds 4.2

T4.2 also from Decathlon

I can't make up my mind about this tent. I nearly bought it on the spot when I first saw it, but OH would not have anything to do with fibreglass poles after our last experience in the bad weather. Also there was a review on it in this month's camping mag, one of the claims is its meant to buckle and fold in bad wind and is normal, I think we would find that a bit frightening if we were inside. That's what happened last August in Cornwell, except the tent wasn't meant to do that :lol:. I'll dig the review out and add anything of interest here.

That all said, I still like the look and design of the tent and I like the idea of the speed of the set-up. I do agree Andy, as a tent to set up for a Friday night and leave Sunday Morning, it takes some beating.

I have also found the Seconds Base tent to be clever and this would be cool as a quick chuck up Kitchen tent.

These tents are easy to put down, once you have the knack.
Click here, then click on the "Our Video" link just below the main pictures in a little orange square. Watch the girl pack it away in seconds on her own :?

(Andy, I'm in Decathlon often, I'll try and get some pics.)

Well we have now started to look at pricing on these. as an overnighter to break up the route! you cant beat it.. we spent £200 on the way back last in a hotel in belgium thats more than this tent alone!

I read the review also and was worried about the bending but then i thought we are talking one night here and there.. or prehaps one night because its raining and quicker to pitch.

Realise that its only the one store so going to give the call today to see if the deliver?? dont seem to from the website? cant add to cart? were not really that local to any of the stores. you can get them brand new on ebay but they are more expensive from store even without delivery?? (ebay is not what it used to be! Rip off central!)

Have looked at the vids and we are so impressed with this.. Looks great and is so quick. and a fair size considering its a pop up.. (size is not to much an issue main tent is pretty small anyway.)

Cheers

Andy

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:03 am

Yup no delivery, Down to them not having the insurance????? strange one that???

Anyway, they have a store in dudley just the other side of birmingham, so thinking could use that store and stop off at yasmins aunt on the way back for dinner in tamworth.. breaks that up a bit!

Pretty much sold on the tent and thinking why wait? yea may get it cheaper (dobt it only one store chain stocking so no competition not even another product thats alike?) so we were already looking at hotels in france for our trip back this year thinking why waste the money may as well buy this now..

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby in-a-tent » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:37 pm

Will this be tent number 3 then I have lost track?
in-a-tent
Akela
Akela

Postby Admin » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:10 pm

in-a-tent wrote:Will this be tent number 3 then I have lost track?

Technically tent 4.

Our first tent was a 4man family pack from blacks, Thats in the loft we dont use it anymore but we do loan it to family if we go as a group.

Our 12 man Skandika was left in a big bin bag in luxomberg last year.

The trout lake.

And then this so 3rd but 4th if you see what i mean?

Andy

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby in-a-tent » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:58 pm

You had a 12 man tent?

Do you have pics?
in-a-tent
Akela
Akela

Postby Admin » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:05 pm

in-a-tent wrote:You had a 12 man tent?

Do you have pics?

as requested. (this is the last pitch as well.. this is in luxomberg we binned it here after 3 weeks of brilliant sunshine it was really wet and windy with much leaking we decided to replace it. it only cost £99 on ebay lol and we only used it one season! some would say waste of 100 quid but for 3 weeks it was home :)

I think i have some more will dig them out.

I got them on a live spacebut its well out of date

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:15 pm

And another from the front.

Now consider that we were 3 day stoping most of the time it was a huge amount of work! :)

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Tent advice and chat